Fill in the form below to download the full Viatris Case Study or read below for highlights.
Cost Saving Paperless Solutions to Maintenance Operation Problems
Viatris (formerly Mylan/Rottapharm Dublin) operates in pharmaceutical manufacturing and is currently one of the biggest names in the sector, exporting to 86 countries from its Irish plant. Following a major acquisition, it was identified that improvements were required in its maintenance operations.
Viatris was facing a number of challenges, including doubling the output of their finished products and changing their maintenance operation to reduce costs. Their parent company wanted them to increase efficiency as well as decrease equipment downtime. Many of the Maintenance activities were unplanned, the system largely paper-based, and a typical preventative maintenance job took 16 steps to be completed. It was clear that improvements in costs, effectiveness and downtime were needed.Contact Us
By applying the PEMAC Maintenance system, including its Web Workflow tool, Viatris would be in position to achieve their core objectives:
The system facilitated the implementation of a paperless maintenance system from work request right through to closing the job – no paper is used in any aspect of maintenance work. This has enabled improved efficiency, remote approval and an environmental benefit.
PEMAC Intelligent reporting allowed Viatris to achieve best practice in preventative maintenance and enable them to reduce costs, improve operations and maximise uptime
Using the Web workflow tool, technicians would now be able to view both planned and unplanned work through one interface.
Turnaround for full implementation of PEMACs system was less than 6 months allowing Viatris to experience the benefits and cost savings early.
- The results saw Viatris achieve a fully paperless maintenance environment removing 1 million wet signatures from their workflows
- They experienced a 64% decrease in maintenance costs, an increase in planned maintenance activities from 80% unplanned to 80% planned within 2 years and a significant reduction in equipment downtime
- A typical preventative maintenance job was reduced from a 16-step paper process to just 4 steps
- Viatris also removed 54% of their non-value-added Preventative Maintenance routines once PEMAC was in place, which translated into a 75% saving on Engineering time
- MTBF also went from 150 minutes to a high of 500 minutes within one year
Overall, these gains were key to bringing Viatris to their win of ‘Factory of the Future’.
“We’re very satisfied with the success of the implementation. It has not only enabled us to achieve our objectives, but it has continued to provide us with significant additional benefits for our operations. PEMAC provided us with a high level of support throughout the process and continues to do so today. We would have no hesitation in recommending PEMAC and their innovative software solutions to any company.”
Wesley Horan – Senior Engineering Operations Director, ViatrisContact Us